Seattle Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman will miss the rest of the season after suffering a ruptured Achilles in Thursday night’s 22-16 win over the Arizona Cardinals. Sherman exited the game in the third quarter and did not return. He said he expects to undergo surgery after swelling in the Achilles goes down in the next few days.

“No coming back from that until you get surgery,” head coach Pete Carroll said, adding that Sherman “couldn’t even walk” after leaving the game and standing on the sideline. “He’s been a bastion of consistency, competitiveness and toughness. We’re going to miss the heck out of him.” Sherman said his Achilles has actually been bothering him all season and that he has tried to avoid making any drastic cuts. On the play in which he was hurt, Sherman said the defense was playing Cover 2 and that he was going for an interception.

“I thought I could get the ball. Once it popped, just unfortunate,” said Sherman, who was visibly emotional at times while addressing reporters. “One of those things that you have to play through for as long as you can. When it goes, it goes. “I’ve put a lot of stress on it. Think it would have gone eventually.” Sherman was on Seattle’s injury report last week because of his Achilles. He was listed as a non-participant all three days, though the team held walk-throughs and his participation was an estimation of what would have occurred in a normal practice.

Sherman has railed against Thursday night football, saying it’s hypocritical of the NFL to promote player safety in other areas, only to require teams to play after only three days off. Sherman called Thursday night football a “poopfest” last season in The Player’s Tribune and referred to it as “terrible” this week in an interview with He has never missed a game since entering the league in 2011.

Injuries piled up for the Seahawks on Thursday night. Defensive tackle Jarran Reed (hamstring) and left tackle Duane Brown (ankle) both left in the first half. Running back C.J. Prosise (ankle) left in the third quarter, while quarterback Russell Wilson was ordered off the field for a concussion test in the third, before returning after one play in a move sure to be looked at closely for a health violation by the league. To top the game off, defensive linemen Sheldon Richardson and Frank Clark collided late in the fourth, causing both to leave early.

Related Posts:




You can be the first one to leave a comment.

Leave a Comment