Canelo Alvarez and his promoter, Golden Boy CEO Oscar De La Hoya, were willing to compromise. Gennady Golovkin promoter Tom Loeffler was, too. But in the end, Golovkin, the unified middleweight world champion, was unwilling to come off his demand for parity in a proposed Sept. 15 rematch, and the already fragile negotiations collapsed on Tuesday with De La Hoya ending talks and sending a formal offer to middleweight contender Daniel Jacobs to fight Alvarez on Sept. 15 in an HBO PPV main event at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

De La Hoya said he had Golden Boy Promotions president Eric Gomez contact Matchroom Boxing promoter Eddie Hearn, Jacobs’ promoter, on Tuesday afternoon to start negotiating the fight. Hearn, speaking to ESPN from his home in England, said he was pleased to hear from Gomez and hopes to finalize the fight. Hearn said he hoped to make the deal quickly and didn’t intend to drag things out.

In March 2017, then-secondary middleweight titlist Jacobs (34-2, 29 KOs), 31, of Brooklyn, New York, met unified world champion Golovkin in a mandatory fight at Madison Square Garden in New York and gave Golovkin the toughest fight of his career. Although Jacobs got knocked down in the fourth round, he put on a tremendous performance in a debatable decision loss — 115-112, 115-112 and 114-113 — to end GGG’s knockout streak at 23 consecutive fights.

Golovkin next faced Alvarez in a September blockbuster — 1.3 million pay-per-view buys and the third-best gate in history at $27 million — and they fought to a highly controversial draw that most thought Golovkin won. After drawn-out negotiations, the rematch was set for May 5 at T-Mobile Arena, but in February, Alvarez twice tested positive for the banned substance clenbuterol in his hometown of Guadalajara, Mexico, in random tests conducted by the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association. Alvarez blamed eating contaminated beef — a well-publicized problem for athletes in Mexico — but the rematch with GGG was canceled and Alvarez was suspended for six months by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

Golovkin was incensed. He verbally attacked Alvarez (49-1-2, 34 KOs), 27, of Mexico, and accused him of using performance-enhancing drugs in their first fight, even though he had no evidence. Golovkin (38-0-1, 34 KOs), 36, a Kazakhstan native fighting out of Santa Monica, California, went on to fight anyway on May 5 in a hastily arranged fight with massive underdog Vanes Martirosyan that was moved to the StubHub Center in Carson, California, and taken off pay-per-view and placed on HBO. And instead of earning the $20 million or so he would have made for the rematch with Alvarez, he made around $1 million to fight Martirosyan, whom he knocked out in the second round in a division record-tying 20th consecutive title defense.

After the fight, Golden Boy and Loeffler tried to put the rematch back together for Sept. 15, and they had come to terms with Alvarez, who cleared a major obstacle by signing up for year-round VADA testing, set to receive 65 percent of the revenue and Golovkin 35 percent. But the deal was not signed, and Golovkin had a change of heart on the terms he wanted. De La Hoya said their side was willing to compromise and move to 60-40 after Alvarez got a favorable 70-30 split for the fight last year. Loeffler was surprised to hear that De La Hoya had made an offer to Jacobs when informed by ESPN.

De La Hoya didn’t make it sound like the Alvarez side was going to reverse course and go back to Golovkin.

Related Posts:

Tags

 
 

0 Comments

You can be the first one to leave a comment.

Leave a Comment